Good headphones.
Ian Stirling
2004-08-27 00:12:07 UTC
I've never tried earphones at over say $30 (us).
All the ones I've tried up to that price point fairly rapidly
(month or two) get crackly, with 12-24 hours wear a day, and
I have to remove the end of the wire and resolder.

Do the higher priced ones have better cables?

Ideally, I'd like something with a short cord, so there is not
a lot of slack flex when I'm wearing the player as a pendant.
DanielEKFA
2004-09-02 08:58:15 UTC
Post by Ian Stirling
I've never tried earphones at over say $30 (us).
All the ones I've tried up to that price point fairly rapidly
(month or two) get crackly, with 12-24 hours wear a day, and
I have to remove the end of the wire and resolder.
Do the higher priced ones have better cables?
Ideally, I'd like something with a short cord, so there is not
a lot of slack flex when I'm wearing the player as a pendant.
Well, I don't think price and the quality of the cables necessarily go
hand in hand. I have a pair of Sennheisers priced at $250, and I'm
currently pushing the point of having to buy my third pair of cables by
applying strips and tape to the left cable. But then again, I have had
them for 8 years. Either way, using the extra dough to get really good
earphones is just about the best way you can spend your money if you
really like music. It's an investment. These babies are not gonna break
on me (only the cables are ;) - and the sound is better than any stereo
I've ever heard (including Snell speakers on wicked $10000 amps). It's
the crême de la crême baby :) Do it! Do it now!
Ian Stirling
2004-09-02 13:42:10 UTC
Post by DanielEKFA
Post by Ian Stirling
I've never tried earphones at over say $30 (us).
All the ones I've tried up to that price point fairly rapidly
(month or two) get crackly, with 12-24 hours wear a day, and
I have to remove the end of the wire and resolder.
Do the higher priced ones have better cables?
Ideally, I'd like something with a short cord, so there is not
a lot of slack flex when I'm wearing the player as a pendant.
Well, I don't think price and the quality of the cables necessarily go
hand in hand. I have a pair of Sennheisers priced at $250, and I'm
currently pushing the point of having to buy my third pair of cables by
applying strips and tape to the left cable. But then again, I have had
Thanks.
It's a pity that you can't get decent cables.
I wound a prototype cable composed of a kevlar strand going down
the middle of a tightly wound enamelled wire (arranged in a spiral
so that the length of the wire is some 3 times the length to reduce
stress when bent).
Worked well, but I couldn't do better than black heatshrink
for the outside.
This is one application where precious metals might make sense.
Pure 24K gold wires don't do the nasty work-hardening then fracture
that copper does.
Hmm.
Say 2.4m cable, and we want 1 ohm cable resistance, so that's
.4 ohms/meter, or about .25mm diameter.

Unless I've dropped a decimal point somewhere, 2* 2.4m cable (each
phone seperate) would use about 4g of gold.
Or maybe $50.

Aha, a buisness opportunity...
normanstrong
2004-09-02 14:41:30 UTC
Post by Ian Stirling
I've never tried earphones at over say $30 (us).
All the ones I've tried up to that price point fairly rapidly
(month or two) get crackly, with 12-24 hours wear a day, and
I have to remove the end of the wire and resolder.
Do the higher priced ones have better cables?
Ideally, I'd like something with a short cord, so there is not
a lot of slack flex when I'm wearing the player as a pendant.
I have 2 pairs of Sony MDR-V6 (7506) headphones, and I've been using
them for about 10 years. The cord is almost bulletproof--and it's
coiled, to answer your second point.

Norm Strong
l***@googlemail.com
2013-01-09 22:57:22 UTC
Post by normanstrong
Post by Ian Stirling
I've never tried earphones at over say $30 (us).
All the ones I've tried up to that price point fairly rapidly
(month or two) get crackly, with 12-24 hours wear a day, and
I have to remove the end of the wire and resolder.
Do the higher priced ones have better cables?
Ideally, I'd like something with a short cord, so there is not
a lot of slack flex when I'm wearing the player as a pendant.
I have 2 pairs of Sony MDR-V6 (7506) headphones, and I've been using
them for about 10 years. The cord is almost bulletproof--and it's
coiled, to answer your second point.
Norm Strong
Hi

i would suggest soundmagic e10 earphones http://headphones-earphones.co.uk/by_brands/soundmagic-headphones